A good point by Sullivan

Sometimes it's best just to quote then link to the original. There's more over at the Dish, but this is the money quote for me.
His Globe piece is presumably a good way to assess his platform. And it highlights all the bankruptcy of the current conservative establishment. Take a couple of issues. He starts by listing national problems:
Public debt has reached $12 trillion and counting, and Washington politicians want to borrow trillions more.
His solution?
My plan for the economy is simple: an across-the-board tax cut - in the tradition of John F. Kennedy - for families and businesses that will increase investment and lead to immediate new job growth. More tax increases will hurt our recovery. That’s why I have taken a no-new-tax pledge. My opponent will raise taxes.
Does anyone see the contradiction here? Without any tax increases, indeed with more tax cuts, the spending reductions required to reduce the debt will be fantastic: massive cuts in Medicare, Medicaid, and defense. Where does he outline these spending measures? Nowhere. Fiscally, he's as fraudulent as Bush.

I'm just as confused. We can't untax our way our of recession - Keynes's point was always about spending, and removing taxes doesn't effectively do that (if my memory from ECON 101 is right). Am I missing something?

No comments:

Post a Comment