Toleration

My shared links feed has been a bit focused on the Cordoba Center recently. It's because this issue is a litmus test, in my mind, on our progression or regression as a society (and I don't mean that in the political sense.)

Immature societies and people have a hard time comprehending, understanding, and accepting those who are different than they are. Without deep knowledge of who they are and what led them to be that way, they cannot consider the different paths available. It's the difference between looking around while walking one's path and dogmatically keeping one's nose to the ground. If we reject peaceful Muslims, than we reject tolerance, and that way leads to all kinds of nasty that I would rather not see.

If, though, we accept and embrace the different flavors around us (including our own; I am not advocating one world culture), then we are a stronger and more secure society as a result. But such acceptance is not inevitable, and I will fight for it everyday.

Not because I might change society, but because each mind changed is a step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment