The Debt Ceiling

The House GOP is right. This government's fiscal policies and willingness to foist costs on future generations is irresponsible, and the worst kind of short-sightedness.

The House GOP is wrong. Tax rates must be simplified, and yes, raised, in order to avoid future calamity. We had high maximum individual rates in the 50s and we need them now. It's not fair to the rich, let's not lie, but one can also look at it this way - they profit more from the government's actions that protect and secure wealth. But it's not fair, and we shouldn't forget that.

So should we avoid those high taxes? Sure - if you think getting rid of social security, medicare, and medicaid is a good idea. That's a valid point of view, which reverberates for me, a bit - until I think about the inevitable problems if we take them away.

But that's how all social programs work - they become crutches. I know this might make me sound like a reactionary (which nicely balances my liberalism on taxes), but I don't think that anything I've said justifies getting rid of them, not with the generational contract that they created with those people who expect fair payouts.

I just wonder if anyone is thinking - really thinking - about the fiscal train headed for Japan, and soon after, us.

No comments:

Post a Comment