Random Friday Thoughts

I had some time to think thoughts today:
  • I have a roommate, but I live alone.
  • Christopher Hitchens's greatest enemy was totalitarianism of thought - the idea of a cohesive whole of "rightness" from which all wisdom could spout.
  • That might be true, but I'm more worried about stupid, partial thoughts than the big lie. The big lie can be ganged up on. A chorus of foolishness is more subtle.
  • I need something to live for - perhaps someone or ones to live for. I am surviving in this status quo, but I don't feel personal growth in the number of ways I would like.
  • Conservatives believe in what is real. This is unifying. Liberals believe in what "should" be real - this is dividing. That's why I think conservatism is more powerful today.
  • Barack Obama's recognition of process failures was taken by many to be a promise to address them (albeit not explicitly, as to avoid process becoming a focal point. Process is boring.)
  • In many ways, the Obama admin has not done this.
  • I owe someone I respect a great deal a blog post about Troy Davis's execution. I've been feeling guilty about it for months.
  • I believe that technology will build a new way of living, gradually reshaping old paradigms, but for now the question is how to exist in a world defined by old trains of thought, but yet using the bullet trains.
  • "Good" people can do awful things. "Bad" people can be incredibly kind.
  • Labels are stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment