What "actually matters" and what actually matters

Madison Updates:
  • A few Fridays ago, I had one of those ubiquitous nights that felt very "American"....I suppose. 
    • I drove straight from work on Friday to a soccer game at an indoor field. Organized sports are the best way I've found at getting and keeping my heartrate up, but for the first time I played with a team of "free agents" - I actually joined up last minute when they sent out an e-mail call for more guys on Friday nights.
    • Next up, I went to a gathering of friends I joined more than a year ago that play board and video games regularly together. I'm pretty sure I lost every game, but that was fine - the games aren't what actually matters.
    • Last up was karaoke - in a bowling alley, with a big group of all ages, sexes, and races. There were bad "parties lights" spinning around with no discernible rhythm.
    • I read a lot about (and experience in part) other cultures from around the globe, and despite my many frustrations with the US, there is something fundamentally wonderful about these events and the ease with which we support so many different endeavors. It's safe to become fast friends here, and that's good for building social networks (and having the courage to break old ones when appropriate).
  • Winter is coming. I am not pleased, except for the fact that the Sing Off is coming with it!

Political Updates:
  • The importance of hypocrisy
    • Yes, the US practices espionage. No, we don't talk about it. Diplomatic practice is to pretend you don't spy while you do spy. For the record, I'm down with most parts of organized espionage EXCEPT for corrupting human agents.
  • I can't figure out exactly what I think about Snowden. I do think Manning did something much more foolish.

Personal Updates:
  • For a long time in my life I was someone that kept a fairly flexible schedule. I liked being able to "drop everything" for someone else. I find myself busy more and more these days - and it's a blessing, as well as something that makes me understand others that weren't as available what I might have wanted in the past.
  • Ultimately, having good people in your life and enjoying their company (both friends and family) is what actually matters to me. I don't have to be in the same location as them, but weekends like this in DC are a big part of my happiness and I am grateful for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment