Unexpected areas of expertise, and what to do with them

Before my work life ramps up again on Monday, I'm working to take stock of my areas of semi-expertise and where I want each of these to go:
  • Admissions and financial aid in higher education
    • I studied this in college, and want to use the knowledge to help spread knowledge and information about college access, especially across socio-economic lines. Some of the best schools in the country are much less expensive than popular belief suggests.
    • Less importantly, I will fight a losing battle against college rankings, which are gross simplifications that cause students to make poor college choices.
  • Credit cards and EFT processes
    • My primary area of expertise at Epic, with rising importance as money transfers via apps like Venmo and Square Cash or services like Apple Pay become more prevalent.
    • I have no idea how this might be useful in the future, except in knowing something about network security as it relates to PCI certification for merchants.
  • New Media
    • I've followed the rise of online "streaming" closely (most relevant for video and computer games at the moment), as well as the ensuring convergence of TV and the internet. Also familiar with monetizing these efforts.
    • I think this area will be most useful for community building - if we can create venues where contributing ideas and feedback becomes a joyful action for people, then new media can become an avenue for creating all sorts of projects beyond Wikipedia.
  • Lighting and sound design/event support
    • I developed this in college as the tech manager for one of the student centers. Never used it in Madison (I had a few opportunities to run sound at local venues, but it never worked out). I don't really expect this to be useful except in setting up a home system or jumping in if technology breaks during an event I'm involved in.

Skills I want to gain:
  • Gardening - I want to be able to grow and eat my own food, so that I understand more about food production
  • Carpentry - Probably via volunteering for Habitat, I want to learn more and get more practice around home care and projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment