The tabs I perpetually return to most often on my phone

I've ended up with a few perpetually open tabs on my mobile browser (side note: are those tabs?) and thought it'd be interesting to share here what's organically ended up being referenced most by me, aside from the WMATA "next train" app.


The Healthcare IT consolidation chart (source)
Vince Ciotti, a longtime member of the HCIT professional community, gave a talk about how much snake oil was in the eletronic medical record industry in the 80s and 90s. One of the reason these systems continue to be challenged today is how the major players today are often the results of acquisitions and poorly merged codebases. The chart below shows how one company in 2014 came from a combination of many companies in the 1990s and 2000s (though to be clear, acquisitions don't make a technology bad)




The Righteous Mind political/morality chart (source)
This chart illustrates a pattern I've seen and observed in real life, about how different groups of people tend to have different moral priorities. It's not scientific, and I'm sure there's a lot to quibble with, but the overall point - that morality works differently along the political axis - holds up well.

How to run an efficient meeting (source)

My meetings blog post (source)
Blog posts at 18F were never something that ft into the regular workday - they had to be squeezed in on top of everything else we were doing. My favorite post - and the one I always wanted to publish at a .gov URL - was this one, on effective meeting habits. It's one of the rare topics where I feel like a real expert and people I've met for the first time have mentioned first learning my name through this post. I still use it sometimes as my own reference at work.



Epic's Commandments and Principles, circa 2011 (source)
When I came to Epic for an interview, these were up in every meeting room and every bathroom. More than any platitude expressed during the recruiting, these two frames seemed to be a direct expression of the CEO's values. They were grounded, useful, and real - and I moved to Wisconsin.



No comments:

Post a Comment