When it comes down to it....

One of the experiences at Williams that I will value most is the opportunity to be the person at the other end of the hiring table. Our student body is filled with huge numbers of leaders, and one of the more difficult tasks is sometimes discerning who is to take our place in the coming years.

The great revelation, which can be applied to national politics, is that there is a huge, and even insurmountable, difference between those who are hiring, and those who are being hired. My goal in helping to select those to ring the Thompson bells is to get the best group possible; complete equity isn't nearly as much of a priority as getting the best group.

That doesn't mean that I won't do this fairly (indeed, I'll be reading the applications blind), but it does mean that  I'll know a lot more about the other side of the interviewing table the next time I want a job. That's experience that I can truly value.

No comments:

Post a Comment