My WSO post

I'm about to play a little bit of bad-cop with the campus; apparently the neighborhood review forum was less than successful. Any thoughts on this before I WSO it?
----------------------
Hey, Williams. My Winter Study sometimes takes me away from campus, and I was in northern Vermont during the Neighborhood Review Forum on Tuesday. Howeer, I heard that attendance was less than spectacular.

I know that talking about school policies is largely boring, and that we all have things we'd rather be doing than debate Proposal 3A versus Option 2B, but this shit really matters. Back in '05 when the system was first proposed, there were debates, open letters, and opposition organizations formed against the change. Many of those groups made points about weaknesses in the system that history has borne out, as seen in the first Neighborhood Review Committee report.


I'm told that because we had such poor attendance, the committee is about done soliciting for public opinion, and that's just sad. Possible changes are really big:
  • Entries could be moved OUT OF Mission and Frosh Quad to all the upperclassmen dorms.
  • Sophomores could be forced to live together in a designated area of campus.
  • Free-Agency (being able to live wherever on campus) might return.
  • We could get theme housing.
Because you didn't show up, or submit comment, you've essentially given up your agency to the Neighborhood Review Committee. Come on, Williams. Read the 4 proposals (sent by Lizzy Brickley at Mon, 11 Jan 2010 5:48 PM), and say something about it, either here or sent to the committee. Give the students who will come after us a little bit of your time, so that they have the best system possible. We go to a school where each individual's opinion can affect policy, so take that power and don't let the wrong proposal go forwards.


And for those who think that your lives are too busy, I quote Aroop Mukharji '09:
Don't have time? Shut your mouth. It's winter study.

3 comments:

  1. It will help to have a sensationalist title to the post like, "Entries moved out of the frosh quad and mission."

    Are they going to seek input from recent alums? probably not. But damn do I have a lot to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Send it to me if you've got it; I have several things from a variety of alums. BUT, no promises: I'm not on the committee, and at this point, the feelings of the current underclassmen probably matter most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:40 PM

    F the cluster system. Entries out of the froshquad? You have got to be kidding me! Older members of the Alumni Association are going to flip out. That is totally TOTALLY not ok.

    ReplyDelete