Palin Policy

One of the benefits of being a Christian Baptist from the South is that I can get stereotyped as a Conservative, which helps my words get more traction with the right. One of the benefits of growing up in a church that welcomed gays as members and ministers, and having been affiliated with the Roosevelt Institution, is that I can likewise get stereotyped as a liberal. I am neither, but I'm not above taking advantage of misconceptions and fallacies in making my own points. See this, which I wrote to various Palin supporters on Facebook:

Hi, I saw that you posted on Sarah Palin's Facebook wall, and I wondered if you might like to hear a few things about her. There was a piece on 60 Minutes last night with McCain's Campaign Manager, and he said a lot of things that I didn't know about her, and that were very worrying.

Sarah did a lot of great things in Alaska. She was a hugely popular governor, and was willing to resign from an Ethics committee in protest of ethic violations. I admire that. But she LIED, and lied repeatedly during the campaign. I cannot tolerate that in leaders that I support, and hope that you will join me.

During Troopergate, she said on a press call that she had been cleared of "any wrongdoing" when the report stated that she had "abused her power." She said she refused the Bridge to Nowhere when she campaigned for it. She denied a quote she made on the record about human responsibility for climate change, and said that she improvised her convention speech when she did not. She thought the First Amendment (Freedom of the Press) allowed her to avoid any tough questions, and when on the world stage, you can't win by avoiding a problem: you have to face it head on.

Even more importantly, she wanted to be next-in-line to the Presidency of the United States of America while thinking that Saddam Hussein attacked us on 9/11 (he had nothing to do with it), without knowing why North and South Korea were separate nations (the Cold War with the USSR), and didn't know what the Federal Reserve did (it manages all of the money in the US). Every aspiring President MUST know these things. Our leaders must be our best, and our best should know who was responsible for 9/11!

The person who compiled the list below is biased, and some of these points are bogus, but most are true. It makes me very sad, because I think she represents America better than most politicians, but I cannot support a liar. Remember the 9th Commandment, and God Bless.

I surely hope that America can find a strong, conservative politician, but I don't think we have that in Sarah Palin. We MUST do better. Thanks for reading.

Will Slack
Decatur, GA

Biased reference: http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2009/11/the-odd-lies-of-sarah-palin-a-roundup.html

Everything in the above is true. Sullivan is biased (some things on his list are definite stretches), and I do really hope that we can have a strong, fiscally conservative Republican who has the willpower to get the budget under control. We MUST do this, and Palin hasn't shown any sort of policy ability.

I worry that in becoming the head for a "movement," she will lose her sense of self. This is especially problematic because Obama's introduction included interviews with open honesty and acknowledgment of imperfections. I haven't seen that humility from Palin, but then again, I've yet to read her book.

No comments:

Post a Comment