Honorary Degrees

After Nick Arnosti and I were elected to the Honorary Degrees Committee, I didn't realize how quickly I would be thinking about commencement, which was at that point over two years away. I can't comment publicly about the process, and I don't need any names from non-juniors, but I wanted to share this quote. It's why I sometimes like reading old memos:
"With the awarding of an honorary degree, the College recognizes
distinguished achievement.  It may be personal achievement in contributing
to social progress or the advancement of knowledge or culture; or public
achievement in the service of government, business, an institution, or the
community.  In general, the candidate's contributions should reflect the
principles and objectives for which the College stands.  And in general, the
candidate should bring honor to the College, and the College should bring
honor to the candidate."

2 comments:

  1. Got a link or citation for the quote? How about other on-line materials about the process?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's from an e-mail I got about this subject in preparation for the all-class e-mail I sent out soliciting ideas and such. No citation or other online materials; the idea was to keep it within the junior class.

    ReplyDelete